Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bridal Dresses from Around the World

I've been anticipating the wedding of a dear friend for months now. I've even had Dixie Cups' "Chapel of Love" stuck in my head for awhile. In light of my friend's wedding this upcoming Saturday, I've decided to take a look at wedding attire from across the globe. The classic white wedding dress is anything but boring, but I wanted to take a look at those things not so white and traditional for a change.

1) Japan

The girl pictured is a friend of mine. She's modeling Japanese matrimonial attire so, no, she's not actually getting married.



2) Middle East: Saudi Arabia

This gown is called a "Henna Dress" and is reflective of the elaborate Middle Eastern fashions. Could emerald green look any more striking?!



3) Africa

Certainly more subdued that Saudi Arabia's style, but certainly elaborate in it's own right, I certainly remember African bridal attire for the headpieces if nothing else.



4) Hungary

This traditional Hungarian wedding attire is reflective of the early 20th century.


5) India

Elaborate jewelry, facial rings, hands decorated in complicated henna patterns, Indian bridal fashions are lively if not downright flamboyant. Gotta love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment