Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fashion Through the Ages

I love looking back at historical fashion and seeing just how much it's evolved over time. After attending a fashion show last night that had a theme of "Revolution" and a brief look back in time, I decided to take a look at some of these insirational pieces. Some of which are on the rebound, others are always in style because of their timeless quality, and some hopefully will remain dead and buried.

FASHION IN THE 1920's

Twenties fashion took a while to grow on me, but now I have to say that I appreciate the quaint hats, delicate gloves, and shimmery flapper girl outfits that are so reminiscent of the time.



FASHION IN THE 1930's and 1940's

It's always been that men and women's clothing reflected their social class. The impressive 3 piece men's suits with the chain-linked stopwatch always stick out in my mind as such an example of splendor among the upper class. Despite the Depression, fashion was by no means dead.


FASHION IN THE 1950's

Who can forget the power of Chanel or Marilyn Monroe. The hoop dress and poodle skirt are iconic. I love the elegance of 50's fashion. If I had to pick the decade of best fashions, this would be it.



FASHION IN THE 1960's and 1970's

Short hair (for women), platform shoes, Andy Warhol, bellbottom jeans. How can you run out of great things to say about this revolutionary period? Just groovy baby!




FASHION IN THE 1980's

Definitely what I consider to be the worst fashions of the century, and yes-- horror of horrors-- some of it is trying to make a comeback. Big hair, mullets, leggings with oversized shirts. Only a very small minority can actually pull some of those looks off.




FASHION IN THE 1990's

I can vividly remember 90's fashion all too well: lot's of denim, vests, big clunkly belts, neon colors. Still carrying 80's baggage, we eventually moved to a more contemporary "modern" effortless look. Thank God for change at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment